FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency)
If your area is declared a national disaster, you may qualify for financial aid. You are encouraged to apply for FEMA assistance or aid, regardless of the extent of the disaster you experienced.
People who suffered damages from the storms are eligible for assistance through various programs offered by FEMA. If you are a renter, you may be eligible for a grant from FEMA to cover short term rent assistance at a new location. The process involved in applying for FEMA may seem time-consuming. However, you may be missing an important source of financial assistance if you fail to take advantage of this opportunity.
The FEMA number for ALL persons affected by Hurricane Harvey is DR 4332
When you apply, please have the following information available:
- Social Security number
- Current and pre-disaster address
- Telephone numbers where you can be contacted
- Insurance Information
- Total household income
- A routing and account number from your bank (only necessary if you want to have disaster funds transferred directly)
Call the FEMA Helpline or check online if you need additional help or have questions. You can also learn the status of an application, additional services, or the location of specific services.
FEMA Application Line .................... 1-800-621-FEMA (3362)
TTY # .................... 1-800-462-7585
You can also apply online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov
For Your Home or Apartment
- Contact FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency)
- Be sure your residence is safe before you return
- Contact your insurance agent– don’t guess at your coverage
- Get more than one estimate for repairs
- Set up a safe place to keep receipts for all your expenses
- Determine what you can do by yourself
- Determine what you can do with the help of a few friends
- Determine what requires an expert (electrical, plumbing, etc.)
- Check references carefully
- Check contractor and repair firms with the Better Business Bureau
Disaster Unemployment Assistance
If you lost your job because of Hurricane Harvey, you may be eligible for disaster unemployment assistance. The Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) Program provides unemployment benefits and re-employment services to persons who lost their job because of a major disaster. To start the application process click here.
For more information on the Disaster Unemployment Assistance Program check out the links below: